Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garnfox27

Three Misterious Baby Plants

GarnFox27
9 years ago

Hello
I received these plants at a plant exchange. This first one, she told me what it is and I forgot, I think it started with a P and it is edible, we both had a taste, sort of like cilantro.

The other two are totally random, no labels, and no clue what they are. I am not sure how to care for them, and would like to keep them. The red one hasn't changed much since in my care, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks

Comments (13)

• GarnFox27
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the other two.

• nel5397
    9 years ago

The 1st one is a Purslane. The red plant and the Purslane look like they are starving for fertilizer. The second plant looks like a Violet and another plant in the same pot.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

When the first one makes flowers, you should be able to determine if it's Portulaca oleracea or P. umbraticola, both annuals. Looks like it could use more sun.

• GarnFox27
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Excellent! Thank you both and thanks for the advice.

• GarnFox27
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anyone know what the reddish plant is?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I've seen starved Lambs Quarters look like the red one.

As nel5397 says there is another plant in the pot with the violet. If you want to keep both I'd separate them. Although for most of us violets are a weedy species which self seeds rather too eagerly. I'm guessing it is the other plant which was intended as the exchange subject and the violet is a hitch-hiker.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i hate to say it...

but they are all common weeds in my garden ... edible or not ...

makes me wonder what the trade was ... did you give them some good weeds also???

ken

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Ken, that's the kind of nasty comment you should self-censor. This is a plant ID forum, not an outlet for your over-punctuated opinions and awful jokes that only you think are funny.

People pay for P. umbraticola (the other moss roses) and purslane (P. oleracea) is a common edible. Impossible to say which is pictured at this point. Most people consider them both desirable plants. Most people, globally, aren't US suburbanites who have been told edible plants are weeds to be poisoned.

The violets are also a native edible plant. I like them. I drove 2 hours to someone's house last fall to trade for some because I haven't seen any since moving here and I miss them. Flora may be right about it being the hitch-hiker though. People are told to hate violets, so most do.

If you know the ID of the 3rd one, we're all curious.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

hey purp ...

if she was trading for edibles [of which she did not say so] ... then she got a great bargain ... i did not mean to question the new owners motives ... we all collect what makes us happy ...

if not.. then those provided are of questionable value ...

i dont know the names of the weeds i slaughter en masse.. in my garden ... and i dont eat from my garden .... but i have killed many of #3 ... and that is one of the reasons i hang around in this forum ... to learn ...

garn.. forgive me.. if you find value in what you received ... if you are happy.. i am happy ... i guess on some level ... i recall the days in the way back machine.. when i got trades ... that eventually.. i realized.. did not make me happy ...

if you are happy.. i am happy for you

ken

ps: purp.. the day we start editing opinion for fear to the thought police.. is the day we have no freedom left ..

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    9 years ago

" the day we start editing opinion for fear to the thought police.. is the day we have no freedom left .."

Yes, but not at the expense of good manners.....

• GarnFox27
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I like the little red one, whatever it is. Right now it is cute, and I'd like to see it grow up. I really have no clue what it is. Since all these plants were free I have no complaints, I brought some seed to the exchange since I am a new gardener and have no plants to share.

These are not common weeds around my neighborhood. The only weeds I see are clover, dandelion, black berries and grasses.

I am just collecting at this point to try to bring some life into my yard. I am leaving heavily in the edible direction.

However It sure would be nice to actually get an ID for the little red guy. It doesn't look like any images I've seen for Lamb's Quarter, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

• jaynine
    9 years ago

Could the little red one be Quinoa?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Quinoa and Lambs Quarter are both Chenopodium species so it's not impossible. However, C album, Lamb's Quarters, is far more likely since it is incredibly common.

GarnFox27 - the red colouration of the little plant is almost certainly due to it's being starved of nutrients and moisture. Under such circumstances plants frequently produce atypical colour and growth and are much spindlier that healthy specimens. If you were to give it better conditions it would most probably change appearance.