Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olreader

I am trying to eradicate this flower

olreader
9 years ago

Eventually this gets a spike of pink flowers I think, but I plan on pulling all of this up before it flowers. It spreads everywhere, can you id it? If not I may be able to track down some photos if the flowers from last year.

I'm talking about the plants in front, not the daffodil type plants in back.

This post was edited by olreader on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 22:41

Comments (17)

• Desirai
    9 years ago

looks kinda like a zinnia. or maybe a sunflower??

• vall3fam
    9 years ago

Maybe Centranthus ruber, Jupiter's Beard?

Elaine

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Saponaria officinalis, I'd say.

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    9 years ago

ditto......Saponaria officinalis

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

man you dont fool around when you get a hate on for something... butcher knife and all ... lol ... one of the best dollar store tools for the garden ...

you can put 100% round up or generic in a drip bottle.. and just let it drip down the stem ... and it will die.. and come out much easier.. once the roots shrink a bit ... IF!!! ... its the type of plant that has significant underground roots.. and you dont want to disturb the rest of the bed ...

the key is precise minimal application ...

and if thats out of the question.. all the power to ya...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: this is what i use for said precision ...

• olreader
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I think Saponaria officinalis is correct. Thank you all. Here is a photo from a few years ago showing the pink flowers at the front center of photo. (Maybe most of the green leaves in the center are from another kind of plant).

• olreader
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ken, I do want to get rid of it but mostly I chose the title of my question because I wanted something more distinctive than "what is this?"

• saltcedar
    9 years ago

Pink flower in the foreground is Phlox paniculata.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Yes - the pink flowers in the foreground are Phlox as Saltcedar states. This is not the same as the first plant you asked about.

• plantknitter
    9 years ago

I was thinking it - the original plant asked about- looked like Silene armeria.

And agree the one in the foreground in second picture is Phlox.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Silene and Saponaria are in the same family so there is some similarity but the terminal buds, stems, leaf shape and veination say Saponaria to me.

• olreader
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, maybe they're not the same plants. I have left a few growing and will try to remember to post pics if they flower. Some of the pics I found online for Saponaria had leaves very similar to what I have in the first photo here.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

If you pick a leaf from one of the plants and take it and hold it beside the other you will see the differences in shape, texture and veination. They are easily distinguished once you know them. Same with the flowers - quite different if you compare closely.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i was commenting on the butcher knife ... one of my favorite dollar store garden tools.. BEFORE kids came along ...

there is something about not only weeding.. but killing a weed ... lol .. divine retribution or some such .. lol ..

ken

• olreader
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I dug so much of it up that only a few little sprigs were left, but I let them grow so I could show you the flowers and here they are. They were small and took a long time to grow and only flowered in early Sept. . Looks like the Saponaria. The phlox also flowered earlier this year. Time to pull up the rest of the Saponaria.

This post was edited by olreader on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 20:18

• jaynine
    9 years ago

Yes, it's Saponaria...one of my all time favorite fragrant flowers.

• Desirai
    9 years ago

Oh.. I have a saponaria growing that I assume a bird planted for me. I like it.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio