Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I am trying to eradicate this flower

Posted by olreader 5b CO (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 22:39

Eventually this gets a spike of pink flowers I think, but I plan on pulling all of this up before it flowers. It spreads everywhere, can you id it? If not I may be able to track down some photos if the flowers from last year.

I'm talking about the plants in front, not the daffodil type plants in back.

This post was edited by olreader on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 22:41

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I am trying to eradicate this flower

looks kinda like a zinnia. or maybe a sunflower??

o

Maybe Centranthus ruber, Jupiter's Beard?

Elaine

o

Saponaria officinalis, I'd say.

o

ditto......Saponaria officinalis

o

man you dont fool around when you get a hate on for something... butcher knife and all ... lol ... one of the best dollar store tools for the garden ...

you can put 100% round up or generic in a drip bottle.. and just let it drip down the stem ... and it will die.. and come out much easier.. once the roots shrink a bit ... IF!!! ... its the type of plant that has significant underground roots.. and you dont want to disturb the rest of the bed ...

the key is precise minimal application ...

and if thats out of the question.. all the power to ya...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: this is what i use for said precision ...

o

Yes I think Saponaria officinalis is correct. Thank you all. Here is a photo from a few years ago showing the pink flowers at the front center of photo. (Maybe most of the green leaves in the center are from another kind of plant).

o

Thanks Ken, I do want to get rid of it but mostly I chose the title of my question because I wanted something more distinctive than "what is this?"

o

Pink flower in the foreground is Phlox paniculata.

o

Yes - the pink flowers in the foreground are Phlox as Saltcedar states. This is not the same as the first plant you asked about.

o

I was thinking it - the original plant asked about- looked like Silene armeria.

And agree the one in the foreground in second picture is Phlox.

o

Silene and Saponaria are in the same family so there is some similarity but the terminal buds, stems, leaf shape and veination say Saponaria to me.

o

Ok, maybe they're not the same plants. I have left a few growing and will try to remember to post pics if they flower. Some of the pics I found online for Saponaria had leaves very similar to what I have in the first photo here.

o

If you pick a leaf from one of the plants and take it and hold it beside the other you will see the differences in shape, texture and veination. They are easily distinguished once you know them. Same with the flowers - quite different if you compare closely.

o

i was commenting on the butcher knife ... one of my favorite dollar store garden tools.. BEFORE kids came along ...

there is something about not only weeding.. but killing a weed ... lol .. divine retribution or some such .. lol ..

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here