Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fern or palms or neither

Posted by plantnut65 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 22:48

these things grow like a tree, trunk then branch's with rolls of leaves facing each other like a fern or some palms. the leaves are about inch long with smooth edges, each limb is about a foot long and growing longer each day. they, the leaves that face each other will fold toward each other at night. Two of the little trees are about 3 and half foot tall. the rest are about 2 and a half foot tall, they came up at different times

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fern or palms or neither

bottom half of the first post.

o

Sesbania species, possibly S. drummondii or herbacea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sesbania drummondii

o

Sesbania drummondii does seem to fit the bill in looks, some plants as you can see are over 6 ft. , and yet no sign of stopping. There is no sign of blooms just new growth. They have pretty much shaded out the rest of the plants in my flower bed.
I do remember bean like seeds, but they were a different, hope that means its different colors when they bloom.
My neighbors think some one had done a trick on me, if they could bend over and look beneath the Sesbania, the trick would be on them.
Thanks so much for your help (Saltcedar)

o

front view, also there is a pretty mixed flower bed under the palm trees
Can anyone tell me how to put more then one picture in the post?

o

Use a photo hosting site such as Photobucket.com

o
RE: fern or palms or neither, update

now that my little plant has grown to approximately 12-15 foot and has bloomed and has seed pods hanging, I thought it was time for a update on the Sesbania drummondii. Want to make sure that this is indeed the poison, since all the rest seem to be great for you and your garden.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 15:05

Ferns and palms don't branch like flowering plants such as this one.

o
RE: fern or palms or neither next

here's a close up of the blooms, I find one difference in this plant and Sesbania Drummondii, as you can see they are yellow with a orange tongue.

o

I would have said Pride of Barbados just seeing the plant and leaves.

They are becoming very popular in Texas one of the Super stars.

Your plants are pretty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here