Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
common vine that doesn' climb

Posted by tskn none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 23:01

I bought a new house and I cut this vine-like plant down awhile ago. It is growing fast now and every which way along the ground but it doesn't climb ...its just growing far and wide. I'd like to know what it's called and how people use it for landscaping. Do I need to train it and if so how? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: common vine that doesn' climb

Looks like periwinckle ....its a ground cover vine and does not climb

Ian

o

Maybe because the plant I'm thinking of is an aussie native cultivated elsewhere now - it looks a little like Pandorea jasminoides ("Bower Vine"). If correct, it's not a vining climber but needs support like a trellis or trunk or pergola to "climb" and failing that, would certainly go spreading out on the ground in search of something to use for that.

o

Agree with ians_, looks like Vinca minor, aka: periwinkle. Tskn - it is often helpful if you indicate where the plant is growing - city and state or similar - notice that I've got that info included above, next to my user name.

o

Those look like compound leaves to me.
Any chance we could see anther part of the plant?

o

I don't know what this is but I am pretty certain it isn't Vinca minor. Those look like pinnate leaves to me too. What climate is this growing in?

o

I believe it's Southern California from a search on other posts.

o

If OP is in southern Calif, there are 2 vines that came to my mind. At first, I thought it looked like Trachelospermum jasminoides (Star Jasmine), but I went out & looked at mine & there is no terminal leaf. So not that one.

The other, Pandorea jasminoides, as Alison suggested, does have the terminal leaf & it is 2-pinnate (compound?), as Saltcedar asked about. Let's see if the pic I just took came out well enough to see. Each leaflet has 2 to 3 pairs & one terminal leaf. Hard to say, but it seems that way in Tskn's photo. Tskn can compare to theirs.

photo DSC_2158PandoreajasminoidesBowerVine_zpsde623bb5.jpg

o

• Posted by tskn none (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 12:30

thank you everyone. I do think it is Pandorea jasminoides, but I've yet to see it flower. I am in So Cal. It is growing all over the ground so I better get pruning!

o
RE: common vine that doesn't climb

We trained ours up a lattice (we attached to posts/fence). It puts on quite a nice show. =)

Pandorea jasminoides
Click for larger view

photo DSC_2178Pandoreajasminoides_zps5fcdc0f2.jpg  photo DSC_2177Pandoreajasminoides_zpscbf989d2.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here