Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
globe shaped bloom 4' stalk

Posted by toad08 7 South Carolina (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 23:01

This plant is in bloom now. globe shaped bloom, whitish or dusty rose color. 4' stalk, lots of latex in stem.. Slightly fragrant. Herbaceous.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: globe shaped bloom 4' stalk

Some species of milkweed..... Asclepias

o

Looks like common milkweed (Asclepias syriaca). I just love milkweeds.

o

nice fragrance ...

attracts monarch butterflies ... look for the babes eating and crawling around on it .... start where you see a chewed on leaf .. see link

can become a reseeding nightmare ... i am not sure if it will be perennial for you ... as i never figured it out here in MI ... after 2 mild winters.. i was thinking it was... but there sure are a lot missing after this last winter ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Worth having and if you don't want it there are probably people and natural areas (parks) that would love to dig it up and take it to their yard to support monarchs or pollinators in general.

o

• Posted by toad08 7 South Carolina (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 23:40

I have about 10 or more of these common milkweed (Asclepias syriaca which are beneficial to monarchs. I saw a monarch near these plants yesterday. The roots seem to go all the way to China. What is the best way to propagate these, what time of year?
This link states to propagate by rhizome. I haven't seen any, just a long root. http://monarchbutterflygarden.net/milkweed-plant-seed-resources/asclepias-syriaca/
Thanks for everybody's help.

o

Propagation (Growing Milkweeds)

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagation (Growing Milkweeds)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here