Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maybe a Mentha

Posted by jekeesl Central AR 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 23:08

I found highly branched plants this morning that were about 4 feet tall. They had leaves to 1 inch wide by 3 inches long on 0.6 inch long petioles that were smooth. Stems were also mostly smooth. The flowers were just developing from leaf axils toward the top of the plants as shown. I did not find any hairs in the inflorescence. Although the plants had a strong aroma of spearmint when bruised, they did not key to any of the local species in this area. I’m sure that the species would be easier to determine if the plants were mature. However, this field may be mowed before that event occurs. Is this M. aquatica? It doesn’t seem like the flowers will be clustered tightly enough around the stem for that species. I guess I should mention that the lower peduncle in the second photo is about 0.75 inch long (for perspective).

photo Mentha4.jpg

photo Mentha9.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maybe a Mentha

Do post this one when it blooms. Owing to the pedicels and peduncle I'm thinking it's in a different genus.

This post was edited by saltcedar on Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 13:59

o

Thanks saltcedar. I worked through all of the Labiatae options in the Arkansas keys, and didn't find anything that seemed likely. I'll post back when there are mature flowers.

o

Saltcedar asked for a follow-up post when these plants bloomed. They had clusters of flowers on stem ends, as shown below. I believe they are Bergamot Mint (Mentha citrata), because of those rows of pale, yellow glands on the sepals.

photo BergamotMint6.jpg

o

First Ligustrum; now Mentha, wish these plants (genera)
would stick to their botanical descriptions!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here