Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
indy452

Very invasive but what is it??

indy452
15 years ago

I think it may be bellflower but not real sure. Its a very invasive plant in my hostas and other flowers. What is it and how can I get rid of it?? In the pic its the stuff along the sidewalk. The other pic shows how tall it can get when unleashed.

Thanks, Neal

{{gwi:276309}}

{{gwi:276310}}

Comments (16)

• erict
    15 years ago

Perhaps wild grape? It certainly seems to twine.

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    15 years ago

Looks like cherry bells campanula punctata--a total thug.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Being that it is all in with your plants like my Campanula punctata was, you need to dig it out as best you can around the other plants. I spent a few days working at it. Then I inspected the area every day for shoots popping up that I missed, and removed them immediately. It was a pain, but did get rid of it doing this.
    Remy

• chazparas
    15 years ago

May be lady bells, adenophora variety.

• indy452
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot to mention that this plant has a very extensive root system as well. It spreads fast and doesn't mind being smothered for awhile. It always manages to return after pulling, smothering with mulch etc.

Thanks so far.

Neal

• pieheart
    15 years ago

Cherry Bells is really that invasive? I just planted some in a mixed flower bed, I should probably remove it pronto?

OTOH, I have a slope that I kind of neglect that might benefit with an invasive. Or will I regret it? I was hoping that it would attract hummingbirds.

• indy452
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If its this stuff. You better watch out. I doubt it though because I can't imagine someone selling this stuff. I think It got introduced with the hostas I bought several years back.

This stuff is worse than a great strawberry patch!

Good luck.

Neal

• vetivert8
    15 years ago

It could be Campanula takesimana. It's a Korean campanula with dull pinkish flowers and Rule the World tendencies. Happy in light shade, drought-hardy. About it's only plus in a civilised garden is that bees like it.

• flora_uk
    15 years ago

Isn't it weird how plants behave in different climates? I've tried twice to grow C takesimana and completely failed both times. Nor can I grow hostas because of the slugs and snails.

• clairabelle
    15 years ago

I have the same thing up here. Puts out small purplish flowers. I always thought is was in the viola family.
    Extremely tough to get rid of... Went over an entire 12ft-long bed last summer and lo and behold... THEY'RE BAAAAAAAAA ACK!

• indy452
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"I have the same thing up here. Puts out small purplish flowers. I always thought is was in the viola family.
    Extremely tough to get rid of... Went over an entire 12ft-long bed last summer and lo and behold... THEY'RE BAAAAAAAAA ACK!"

Yes, yes! This sounds like the stuff. Do you know the name?

Otherwise I will be taking a sponge soaked with roundup and run it along each stem till it goes away. I presume this could take months to acomplish.

Neal

• jeanne
    15 years ago

Small purple flowers sounds like Campanula rapunculoides.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google image results

• indy452
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ohh yeah, this is soooo it!! Thank you! Thank You !!

Now, just how should I go about eradicating it in a friendly manner first?

Neal

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:276308}}

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Pieheart,
    Cherry Bells wanders around, but I wouldn't consider it invasive. The regular white belled C. punctata, I would. It wants to take over the garden by runners and reseeding.
    Remy

• pieheart
    15 years ago

Remy, thanks for the clarification. We're in the same zone so maybe it will be similar for me. I think I'm going to leave it where it is for the season and see what happens. I don't think it's in any danger of flowering any time soon, what I have is a seedling from someone else's garden, pretty immature. I really don't want to plant anything else this year, we are having skunk problems, new plantings are getting uprooted. All our trellises in the veggie garden were blown over the other night in a wild storm. And our lawn mower just died. I don't have the energy to deal with more garden issues, so we're keeping it status quo for now.

• clairabelle
    15 years ago

In my case, it's not campanula, because the flowers are viola-shaped and close the ground. Will keep looking...