Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pull or keep?

Posted by Califo13 Sunset 23 Los Angele (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 0:02

I need the names on these new visitors at my garden. Should they be goners? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pull or keep?

Second visitor :)

o

i might guess mulberry on the first ...with the only leaf i can see

the second.. its a weed ......

i would not encourage a mulberry if in fact.. that is what it is ... mine is going on 45 feet tall ...

ken

o

Ficus for the first.

o

• Posted by Califo13 Sunset 23 Los Angele (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 1:08

ken_adrian = i might guess mulberry on the first

saltcedar = Ficus for the first.

Any confirmation on which one is it?

o

Ficus imo. Break off or slightly tear a leaf and it should ooze thick white sap.

o

I vote Ficus. Sap oozing is a good idea to confirm.

o

OMG ... i dabble in this game ..

never take my answer over the salty ones answer ...

i now say ... based on my experience.. its ficus... lol .. and my experience is that salty is rarely .. if ever.. wrong.. lol ..

ken

o

• Posted by Califo13 Sunset 23 Los Angele (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 17:27

I did as you suggested and got the white sap. The closest looking ficus leaf I could find was the ficus carica. Do you think that could be the one? Here is a better leaves picture.

ken_adrian, what can I say... I highly respect saltcedar opinions, but in the other hand, I highly respect yours too. Thank you, guys!

o

Ficus carica is the common edible fig and is the most likely candidate for a self sown plant.

o

don't feel too badly ken, I too thought it was a mulberry. Based on the fact you and I have/had them, maybe, our view is tainted. I actually love it, so I am kidding. It's a great tree to have if you don't mind the mess the birds make, but obviously, it's a bird attracter (the part I like).

;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here