Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a prickly pear?

Posted by Star152 Utah (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 1:16

I originally thought this was a prickly pear, but now the thorns seem too big for it to be one. I was hoping someone could help me identify it.
This is a transplanted section of a larger cactus, which had about five sections with a couple unopened flowers. The largest thorns are 3.5 cm. It was growing in very dry sandy soil. I also saw another of these plants growing in a wetter location, however it was discolored reds and yellows and looked unhealthy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a prickly pear?

My first comment is that this plant is VERY short of water. I don't know if you have heard that cacti need no water, but it is NOT true. They are plants and need watering during their growing season but only when the soil is dry. A good soaking and leave till dry, which in the summer could easily be every couple of days.
I think it is an Opuntia, going by the flower bud, which might even have been aborted. The main part of the plant is so shriveled up that I cannot tell if it is cylindrical or a flat pad.
Yes the Prickly pears are among the Opuntia family.

o
RE: Is this a prickly pear?

Not sure if it is Opuntia as the leaves are so shriveled up. Opuntia are extremely diverse in appearance and habitats.

These Opuntia in the pic below grow natively along the humid, East Coast from Ma. to Florida (with up to 60 plus inches of annual rainfall), and even surviving heavy winter snows. But, they love a well-trained soil and will die if the soil retains excessive moisture.

What are your watering practices like and describe the soil (assuming the rocks are just decorative).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here