Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this lawn weed?

Posted by Mealla Eastern Washington (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 1:20

We have these popping up all over our lawn. What are they?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this lawn weed?

Looks like tiny tree things, either seedlings, or , more likely, root suckers. Any plum trees, wild cherrys, poplars near by? Felled a tree recently?

o

Yes, looks like root suckers from a tree.

o

i get crabapple from seed .. and red ones.. from red leafed trees ...

at that size.. you might find what is left of what was dropped ... like a rotting crabapple.. a cherry pit ... etc ...

if the lawn was recently installed.. root damage on grading..might cause suckers ....

ken

ps: you dont have a decorative pear tree around.. do you ?????

o

'.....all over our lawn....' sounds much more like suckers than seedlings.

o

That study stalk has me thinking its a sucker as well, but...

'.....all over our lawn....' sounds much more like suckers than seedlings.

My neighbor gets a lawn filled with maple seedlings each year that are cheek by jowl, so it depends on the seed.

tj

o

Yes - when I wrote that I thought 'except maples'... 'and ash' .... but they usually get mowed before they make it to more than 1 or 2 true leaves.

However, the plant in the picture has no cotyledons and isn't one of the common self sowers. And as you say the stem looks too robust. For a tree to be that tall from seed it would need to be a few months old, not just popped up in a short time.

o

it's a baby treeeeeee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here