Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify these plants!

Posted by Sparkletts05 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 2:12

Hello everyone. I've got some pictures of various plants around the garden and was hoping to get a better idea of what they are. I live in Southern California, Zone 9b/10a if that helps some.

This first one, I initially thought was some kind of Papaya as I had tossed some seeds out there and seedlings readily grew but the leaf structure is definitely different even though the cotyledons appear to be similar. You can see in the upper left hand corner of the first image, some typical Papaya leaves from a neighboring seedling.
 photo 1Plant_zps2baade7c.png
Another angle:
 photo 11Plant_zps55753185.png
Stock Image of typical Papaya seedlings in my garden for comparison:
 photo Papaya_zpsdcf4a615.jpg

Plant ID#2:
 photo 14Plant_zpsf56fa9d4.png
Plant ID #3:
 photo 15Plant_zpsf08470eb.png
Plant ID#4: Could this be some kind of Cherry seedling?
 photo 13Plant_zps177311d0.png

Thanks again everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify these plants!

Plant #1 looks like a tree-of-heaven seedling, Ailanthus altissima. #2 is some type of elm seedling, perhaps Ulmus parvifolia.

o

I have no idea what these plants are called, but I always pull 1 & 4 from my garden. I have not seen 2 or 3 in mine. I think 1 is a Sumac.

o

Ditto Ailanthus altissima, 3 is Cinnamomum camphora. 4 has opposite leave so not cherry.

o

I pull the elm seedlings all year long (similar zone). They grow quickly and look unruly, especially along fencelines. They take over a flower bed or garden. The sooner you can pull it out the better. Try to pull out as much root as possible. Sometimes I have to just cut off, but it always comes back from the root. Very hardy little plant. They spring up everywhere and are one of the signs of a neglected bed.
If #1 is a sumac it's a lot like the elm. Sumacs are ornamental, but can grow up to 10+ feet. They are lanky and tall. If they aren't kept cut back they take over and look disheveled.
Heidi in Nebraska

o

Maybe #4 is birch or alder?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here