Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyphrodel

Can you identify this tiny tree?

nyphrodel
10 years ago

I apologize for posting this picture again but I didn't receive much in the way of responses the first time. No insult intended costaricafinca, you are a wealth of information :-) Can anyone identify this plant for me? This is a shot of the just the leaves, I will also post a picture of the stem or trunk in a follow-up. Please help, it is growing so quickly and I'm not sure if I should leave it in with the Desert Rose where I originally put it.

Any and ALL answers will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nyphrodel

Comments (8)

• nyphrodel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the little stem or trunk. It has not grown in size since I planted it but it sure is putting out a lot of leaves and little branches. Any guesses anyone?

Thanks again,

Nyphrodel

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Might be Catharanthus roseus.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

That's what the leaves look like to me as well - that thick, woody stem might mean it's an old 1 - or something else...

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Looks like Adenium obesum to me (Desert Rose). =)

• costaricafinca
    10 years ago

No offense taken! I didn't know what it was, just knew what it wasn't!
    Nyphrodel, mentioned in her previous post that it reminded her of her Desert rose.
    I don't think it is Catharanthus roseus, although the leaves are very similar, but the 'trunk' seems too woody for such a small plant.

• nyphrodel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's definitely not a Desert Rose. You see, that's what I thought when I first saw it because it has that old thick trunk, so subsequently, I put it in my small Desert Rose pot. Now that it has grown so quickly and the leaves have gotten large enough to differentiate, I can see that it's not a Desert Rose. Now, it certainly looks similar to the Catharanthus Roseus leaf wise, but again, that stem or trunk? I understand the Catharanthus Roseus gets up to about 2m or 6ft correct? So if that's the case, how to explain that trunk on such a little guy? As carolb_w_fl mentions; "it could be an old one". Does anyone know if this is typical of this species? Because it appears to me that the Catharanthus Roseus tends to grow rather straight green stems, and this one has grown rather willy-nilly, and it has a woody trunk, as you can see.

Well, no matter what I have, it appears to be happy with my choice of medium, because it grew like wildfire once I dug it up and brought it home! It's a very special little tree in my humble opinion. I like the little guy...a lot!

By the way costaricafinca, I sure was hoping for another gift from my little friends, since they are such a busy lot. But alas, I don't believe it to be the case. Too bad, wouldn't that have been just the coolest for it to happen twice? What are the odds?

Well everybody, let's give it another month or so and see if it blooms and maybe we'll get our answer. I can't wait to see what happens, I'll keep you posted on this thread.

Thanks for the help,

Nyphrodel

• costaricafinca
    10 years ago

Our local birds have recently 'gifted' us with two plants. One I found in the wild, a few years ago, then never seen again, Bomarea edulis and Thevetia ovata from a neighbors tree that I tried and failed to start myself.

Gifts from above....8-)

• nyphrodel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello everyone!

Just a quick update to show off the pretty little flowers that have bloomed on my Catharanthus roseus aka Madagascar Periwinkle. (I've been googling again). So as expected, the answers I was given were correct once again. Gardenweb has never let me down.

By the way costaricafinca, I looked up both the Bomarea edulis and Thevetia ovata. WOW! You are so lucky to see such beautiful flora. The flowers on the Bomarea are incredible, they sort of remind me of the flowers on my Kalanchoe Daigremontiana but with a lot more character. The inside of the petals are sooo beautiful. And these were just "dropped" by our little friends, isn't that cool? I also saw your picture of that cute little cinnamon hummer...incredible. You are truly blessed. Enjoy!

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia