Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giant Hogweed look-alike?

Posted by eurstupid 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 5:45

Spotted this monster along a roadway in a ditch. It's easily 10' tall.
I was thinking some type of wild lettuce but it just doesn't seem to match up. Closest I found was Lactuca Canadensis, but the leaves seem a lot denser coming from the stalk.
The bottom half has either been browsed or pruned so I'm wondering if this is the flowering stalk of Giant Hogweed. There seems to be quite a space where the bottom leaves were, which indicates to me they were spread out pretty far.
Interested in what this is. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giant Hogweed look-alike?

This image was taken about 20' from the plant. Only way I could get the whole image in it. I couldn't get near the plant because there is a ton of PI around it.

o

Just one more image of the plant.

o

I can guarantee you that it isn't Giant Hogweed. It could be a Lactuca or Sonchus. Height is often variable depending on the growing conditions.

o

It looks like a Lactuca to me, and their leaves are highly variable in shape and position. You didn't tell us where you live, but it is probably a bit early for Lactuca floridana, and its leaves are usually much more spread out. The two other tall species in the States are L. canadensis and L. biennis. Yours is most like L. biennis, with leaves dense that far up the stem. That species is most common in the northern half of the US, but sometimes wanders south.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here