Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help ID this grass type or weed

Posted by jxf011 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 8:54

I have a 6 to 8 foot patch of this light green grass that grows much faster than the other grass on the lawn. I've tried hand weeding it in the past but it has come back. Any idea what this is and how I can eliminate or control it? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help ID this grass type or weed

I believe it's a Carex. Maybe nutsedge.

o
RE: Help ID this grass type or weed

Yellow or purple nutsedge (the only difference I'm aware of is the flower color).

Pull it as soon as you see it: after just a few leaves, it grows a small tuber (the "nut"), which can sprout a new plant. (The nut is usually left in the soil when the plant is pulled.)

You have a good chance of eradicating it, as you can see the color difference (some can't), and have noticed that it grows more quickly than the grass after a mowing. Keep pulling the lighter, taller bits as soon as you see them.

I got it all out of my backyard, but will never be able to eradicate all the nutsedge in the pasture, so at times more pops up in the back lawn..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here