Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone know what this is

Posted by mommakane115 PA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 9:44

Looking at the broad leaves plant in the middle of the picture,between the butterfly bush and the sumac...Found this yesterday. It is about 10 feet tall. It is growing on a hill made entirely of rock with a thin covering of soil. The base of the stem is woody. Leaves are about 18" wide at the widest point. No branches, but from my vantage point, seems to have a second stem coming off the first at the very base of the plant. Wondering if I should get rid of it before it gets any bigger.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone know what this is

Looks like a paulownia sapling.

o

Yes, you want to get rid of it. Paulownias can grow 10-15' per year, and spread prolifically by seed. They are considered invasive in many states.

o

On the other hand, if you like the big leaves you could coppice it, i.e. cut it to the ground, annually. It will then never flower and make nuisance seed but will produce huge lush jungly leaves.

o

Yes, Paulownia. Dreadful thing and I would not recommend keeping it for any reason because if you leave then the next person would not continue the coppice and then it would spread seeds.

That compound leaf on the left side of the picture could be Tree of Heaven. Would have to see a leaflet a little closer.

o

Not Ailanthus on left; Rhus typhina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here