Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
name this plant

Posted by ssmo 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 10:24

Just moved into new home. What is this bush/tree/big weed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: name this plant

Could you post a close-up of a few leaves?

o

Missing the obvious. Here are the leaves. Thanks

o

Kind of looks like bay laurel.

o

No, I'm certain it isn't Laurus nobilis.

o

Maybe AuroraWA meant Umbellularia californica, California bay laurel?
http://sbwildflowers.wordpress.com/wildflowers/lauraceae/umbellularia/umbellularia-californica/

o

Tell us where you live and if this plant is evergreen or deciduous.

o

Dave in nova, sorry for the late reply. I live in Va zone 7, not sure if evergreen or not since I have only been here 2wks. Still havent figured it out. Trying to decide keep or not. Any ideas?

o

This one is stumping me, lol. Has it flowered? Was/is there any evidence that it has flowered or will flower?
I keep leaning toward either Rhododendron species or Laurus species. Maybe even Kalmia Latifolia. And yes, each species can get that big. Is there any way for you to contact previous owner(s) and ask if it flowers?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here