Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help identifying this plant with Apple like fruit

Posted by angelathefirst none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 10:25

Hi, I've no idea what this plant is. I have a little boy so want to find out if the fruit is poisonous or not. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help identifying this plant with Apple like fruit

Take leaves and fruit to a local nursery.

Or at least tell us where you live!

o

I live in England, South West

o

Looks like a quince to me.

o

Me too. Chaenomeles speciosa

o

• Posted by aswhad belgium-europe (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 10:55

the leaves look like Camelia to me, but i've never seen the fruits of Camelia...

o

Looks like quince to me as well. We have a large tree in our yard that I used to think was an apple tree. Now I'm thinking its a quince! It is about 15 feet high. Last year it produced a good amount of fruit that was eaten by the deer, crows and squirrels. They left me a single fruit that was as large as a grapefruit. It wasn't quite as sweet as an apple but it was still tasty.

Here are two links that may answer some of your other questions.

Links that might be useful:

http://deliciousdays.blog.com/2012/04/09/learn-about-the-characteristics-and-uses-of-quince-fruit/

http://www.gardeningblog.net/how-to-grow/quinces/

o

Thanks for your help. Just moved house, we have had to get rid of a few poisonous plants already.

o

Just looked at camellia fruits, it looks like it could be that! I will see how it develops. Thanks again for all the help and advice

o

Camellia japonica. It's evergreen, right?

o

They are Camellia fruit. Even without the fruit there's no question.

o
What is it - leaves like a schefflera, flowers like a lilly

Pic is from a park near Sacramento, CA

o

Yep, Camellia japonica pods. They will turn brown as they ripen, and split open at those seams you see. If wanting to grow camellias from seed, they must ripen and dehisce on the plant; this will happen in the fall. Camellia breeders will bag the capsules while ripening in order to ensure the prompt collection of the seed. They're fussy.

I've put seeds in a baggy with moist sheet sphagnum and put them in the fridge until spring. When I pulled them out, every single one had germinated in the moss and was ready to plant! So much fun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here