o
Help to identify shrubs - novice gardener! - Image No. 5

Posted by LizzieBetty UK (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 10:38

Image Number 5. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help to identify shrubs - novice gardener! - Image No. 5

Another Cotoneaster - this time C franchetii - a self sower in the UK and not really very garden worthy. All your other shrubs have shown a fairly knowledgeable gardener was at work before you moved in but this one may be basically a weed. Is it sort of stuck in an odd space as if it grew unintentionally?

o

Hi Florauk

Thank you so much for your responses, I really appreciate you taking the time to get back to me - all invaluable information!

The chap who planted this garden originally moved in to the house in the 1930s and tended the garden until the 1990s, so we're keen to get it looking cared for once again so I'm sure I'll be posting some more pics in the near future.

Many thanks, LizzieBetty

o

Sounds like a really nice project. So many of these plants remind me of my Dad's garden - similar vintage and style of planting. Good luck with it and do come back for more ids. It's our idea of entertainment!

o

Thank you florauk - I'm just about to post some more pics for you to decipher...

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 21:00

The one here like this is C. simonsii, with its distinctive stiff habit. C. franchetii is arching.

o

Go with bboy's suggestion, Lizzie, he knows far more than I do.

o

Ok, thanks guys.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here