Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New house = What's this? What's that?

Posted by wallabear NJ 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 10:43

Hi everyone!! My very first post! One excited newbie here! So my hubs and I just bought our first home and I have become crazy about gardening. Love Love Love it! I was hoping you guys can help me identify some tree/shrub/plants we've got growing...

This one looks like it might be a Sassafras? I didn't think Sassafras trees had trunks like that...Maybe fig? I know the previous owners had fig trees that they took with them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New house = What's this? What's that?

More pics..

o

Some more pics...(is there a way to post multiple pics to one post??)

o

I don't know the plant in picture 1 or 2.
3 or 4 is a peony that is surrounded by probably an Oak Leaf Hydrengea.

o

1 and 2 certainly look like figs to me.

3 and 4 include peonies and probably more figs. I have no idea if oak leaf hydrangeas ever have leaves like that.

One of the best hardy figs is the Chicago Hardy variety. I don't know if it would die back in winter in your climate. GW's fig forum isn't too busy (except lately with those of us complaining about this winter's freeze), but they could identify your variety/varieties.

You can put multiple photos in a single post if your photos are located on a photo-hosting site like Photobucket or flickr (or if they're on your own web site). Otherwise you're limited to a single photo per post.

o

Thanks so much! I thought those might be peonies because we had one bloom in the front yard but these in the backyard never bloomed. Maybe next year.

Thanks again!

o

I agree about the fig and peonies. The peonies might do better if they have more space around them.

o

Peonies that are planted too deep will rarely, if ever, bloom.

o

Since I love the peonies so much I'll make room for them the best I can. How deep should they be planted? Maybe I'll dig them out a little bit too?

o

Make sure they are planted in full sun...the eyes (point of new growth), should be no more than two inches deep. They live a long time and won't require moving or dividing if they are situated in the ideal spot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here