Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Friend or foe?

Posted by ellez6 Z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 11:03

This plant has been happily growing this summer next to my stairs but I cannot figure out what it is. It doesn't seem to be getting any taller (about 8 inches high currently), but it is getting fuller. When it was small, I swore it was a volunteer tomato plant, but now I know it isn't. Any ideas? The stem is thick like a succulent, and the leaves have very little distinctive smell. No flowers...just happy, healthy stems.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Friend or foe?

Cow parsley? Anthriscus sylvestris.

-Ming

o

Don't think so. I'm wondering about Conium maculatum. Hemlock.

o

• Posted by catspa NoCA Z9 Sunset 14 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 17:31

Having trudged through acres of it, I can affirm that Conium maculatum has a strong, fetid, unpleasant scent when the leaves are bruised, plus the stems usually have purple blotches. So if, as ellez6 says, the leaves have "very little distinctive smell", that wouldn't correspond with Conium maculatum in my experience.

Looking at photos of Anthriscus, I think the foliage bears some resemblance, plus Anthriscus reputedly has little scent and has been introduced to parts of the U.S.

That's about the extent of my contribution here as I'm not so familiar with umbellifers, especially outside my locale and when they aren't in bloom. So, unfortunately, I can't suggest plausible alternatives.

o

OK - not Conium. But also not Anthriscus imo. That lines our roads in early summer and I don't feel that this is it. Unless there is a variation in the US version of the species.

o

• Posted by aswhad belgium-europe (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 16:25

Maybe check this site > see LINK

Here is a link that might be useful: Conium versus Anthriscus

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here