Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very fragrant tree with early summer blooms

Posted by w1ldflower 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 11:14

This tree has been planted heavily around my neighborhood and city. It is a fairly large sized tree with the strongest sweet fragrance that fills the air in early summer. It has distinctly yellow leaves or sepals where ever the flower clusters are produced. Anyone know what it is? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very fragrant tree with early summer blooms

Linden.

45 years ago (how could I be so old?) my parents bought a new house in the Chicago suburbs. They planted a number of Little-leaf lindens, which at that time was recommended as a tree which could tolerate pollution well -- and there was quite a bit of pollution in the Chicago area at the time.

In Britain linden is called "lime." The "lime alleys" of stately homes are actually lindens.

An herbal tea is made from the flowers.

This post was edited by missingtheobvious on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 11:31

o

Botanical name Tilia.

o

English name is lyme rather than lime.

o

Well, that would also explain the wide use in this area, home of General Electric and in the proximity of the Mohawk/Hudson rivers which have been subjected to PCB contamination by them. It is a wonderfully potent scent and I am interested to see what the herbal tea is like. I thank you kindly for your help and the interesting background information! Enjoy your weekend!

Oh and by the way, the first picture you posted in the carnivorous plants heading, strikes me as a thick-leaved sundew. No, clue on the second, but if you strike out here, there are a number of Facebook pages with a concentration on Australian flora that may be able to assist you.

o

"English name is lyme rather than lime." Actually, suemc, it's not. Google it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lime trees

o

Well, that would also explain the wide use in this area, home of General Electric and in the proximity of the Mohawk/Hudson rivers which have been subjected to PCB contamination by them.

Sorry, I should have specified that I was speaking of the linden's ability to cope with air pollution.

This post was edited by missingtheobvious on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 23:22

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here