Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me identify the plant that gave me blisters.

Posted by DebbieChenier Toronto, ON (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 11:15

Hi there, I lightly brushed up against this plant a few days ago, and in the spots where the spiny under leaf touched me, I developed blisters (if you zoom in, you'll see the prickly rib on the underside of the leaves). They're not itchy or painful at all (in fact, I didn't notice the scratches until the next day, when the blisters started to form where I had been scratched). Can't seem to find anyone who knows what this plant is. It was growing in a friend's side yard, which is very close to train tracks and was about 4 feet tall at the time. I have another photo, as well as photos of my blisters, if that helps. :) Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me identify the plant that gave me blisters.

Extra photo of the plant

o

Here's one of the blisters that formed on my calf. Not itchy or painful, but looks awful!

o

It looks like a Prickly Lettuce.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lactuca serriola

o

I was skeptical but after doing some reading it appears that some people can get contact dermatitis from members of the composite family including Lactuca sativa (lettuce) and L. serriola (prickly lettuce). Might be a latex protein allergy or something more ubiquitous that might be worth considering testing.

o

The blisters are appearing in exactly and only in the areas where I brushed up against the plant. I felt the quick little sting when I brushed up against it at the time (similar to brushing up against a thistle or rosebush - like small, innocuous scratches), which only developed into blisters the next day. I have no known allergies (plant, food, latex, etc). Though maybe I have a special sensitivity to whatever this plant is! Thanks for the help!! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here