Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
in neighbors yard

Posted by pzmaybee 5bMi (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 11:20

wondering what this vine is growing along my neighbors fence. the stems are very dry and woody and flowers are fragrant. most importantly, how do i propogate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: in neighbors yard

Campsis radicans, trumpet creeper. Btw, looks like milkweed underneath/behind it.

o

Campsis radicans, aka Trumpet Vine. The leaves of this one are pinnate. Easily propagated by air layering. It's native here in North Carolina, but I find it aggressive. Attracts hummingbirds.

This post was edited by seedmoney on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 20:45

o

Rather than "How do I propagate?" it's more a case of "How do I keep it from invading my yard?"

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=b840

o

Even in a pot it's a thug. I finally threw mine out.

o

thanks for the info and the warning. after clicking the link for more infor i think i'll def pass on this one. so pretty though.

o

I used to drive by a house in town with that growing up the side of the house. It was never attended to and one day when I went passed it, it had succeeded in swallowing the little cottage. It was scheduled for demolition anyway, to make way for more stores in a shopping district, but glad I got to see it finally consume the house before the whole shooting match was demolished. I planted one on our country property once. It took years to annihilate it but this year, in our woodlot, my spouse saw a large splash of orange in the woodlot. Sure enough, surrounded by trees and thickets, one had managed to grow the size of a Volkswagen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here