Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squash? Melon?

Posted by mrsmig z7 NoVA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 08 at 11:27

Several weeks ago, I noticed what looked like a melon or squash plant coming up in my vegetable garden. I decided it probably came from a seed from a previous year's planting (although it could also have come from my compost bin). Now that the plant is fruiting, however, I don't recognize the fruit.

Any guesses?

Image link: Squash? Melon? (7 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squash? Melon?

Such a small picture, but looks like a squash

o

Sorry, I was having trouble getting the site to accept the photo size. Here it is again:

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash? Melon?

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 08 at 11:48

Hi,
It looks like a cross of squash that happened in your garden, or you grew a hybrid. Either way odd new squash will appear this year. It happens quite often. If you remember what varieties you grew last year, you can figure out who the parents are.
Remy

o

• Posted by rosco_p z6a ont.canada (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 08 at 14:47

Hi: Just wnted to add my two cents worth but too me your picture displays the characteristics of an ornamental gourd. Not sure but I would venture to say a gourd. Ross.

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 08 at 18:46

Ross,
Ornamental gourds are actually squash(Cucurbita pepo.) There are gourds that are a separate species(Lagenaria siceraria) like birdhouse gourds are. Often when a couple of squash that are of the C. pepo type cross like possibly a yellow summer squash and an acorn squash, they end up looking very much like ornamental gourds as in Mrsmig's pic.
Remy

o

Thanks for all the input. I haven't grown squash in my garden in years - the last time it was basic yellow crookneck. I'm guessing that the seed either came out of my compost bin (where I have composted gourds/ornamental squash in the past), or was transferred to my garden by an obliging bird.

In shape and color, the fruit on my plant is someone reminiscent of Carnival squash. I have noticed that my larger fruits have developed ridges and some warts. Has anyone grown Carnivals before, and do they look anything like my plant's babies before they mature?

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down for Carnival Squash

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here