Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need confirmation

Posted by leonardusius 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 11:42

Hi,
Is this Peppermint ? What kind ? Found on a marsh meadow and the whole plant smell like peppermint....is this good to dry and use for tea ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need confirmation

I'd need some larger pics of the leaves. I'm leaning towards hyssop

o

Nope, after searching matching the characteristics I'm lean towards mentha spicata. Maybe I'm wrong. Thank you.

This post was edited by leonardusius on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 7:54

o

Here are the leaf photo.

o

I don't know myself, but if that is a wild area, does it seem like that the non-native mentha spicata would be there? I know things do get around ...

o

Definitely a mint, Mentha sp., rather than Hyssop. I don't know what would be native in your region. Mentha spicata doesn't smell of peppermint and the flowers don't look quite right, although it is variable.

o

I have a yard full of spearmint, I know it's variable but I don't believe this is that.

o

I'm thinking it might be water mint, which would make sense for the habitat.

Non-native to the USA. Finding it on a few invasive lists.

o

The leaves of Mentha aquatica are more rounded as are the flower heads. Mints do hybridise so it ma not be a species.

o

I don't know what mints may be found in Romania, but that does look like Mentha citrata to me, which is supposedly somewhat related to Mentha aquatica. You can use a magnifying glass to see if the calyx has double, vertical rows of light-colored glands. Those glands would be indicative of M. citrata, which is sometimes called Bergamot Mint.

o

Oh, jekeesl, thanks for bringing us back to sanity - not sure how many of us checked the poster's page to see that he was in Romania.

Listing the location of the plant in the first post - always a good thing.

o

Yeah, I wouldn't have even attempted an ID, except many of the mints around the world have been widely shared by nurseries and enthusiasts.

o

I think I would go for Mentha spicata after all, now I've been reminded it's in Europe. Or possibly a M spicata /aquatica hybrid. The leaves look right for spicata but the flowers are rather blunt. Returning to the original tea question I wouldn't hesitate. It's not Pennyroyal which is the one to avoid. I've made tea from M aquatica and it tastes fine - if you like mint tea. Just as good as M spicata. But, personally, I prefer it in Mojito form.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here