Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nightstar_gw

Plant ID? Bush w/blue flowers

nightstar
15 years ago

Hi - Can someone help me with the name of this plant?

Image link:

Comments (9)

• carol23_gw
    15 years ago

Plumbago, I believe.

Here is a link that might be useful: images of Plumbago

• Central_Cali369
    15 years ago

I second the plumbago. It is a very noxious ornamental weed!

• TulsaRose
    15 years ago

When did Plumbago auriculata become classified as a "noxious weed?" Just curious as I plan to add it this fall and I've read nothing but good comments about it.

Rosie

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumbago

• Central_Cali369
    15 years ago

Tulsa rose, sorry, didn't mean to step on your toes. i guess if you live where frost will take it down to the ground every year, it's an okay plant. But here, they grow huge and spread seedlings and suckers everywhere and can take over a bed completely, becoming huge thickets. And when you go to prune them, the sticky seed pods stick to your skin and clothes and it takes just as much time to pick them off yourself as it takes to prune them. I guess it's just a personal dislike. I still grow them though! That's why i called it a noxious Ornamental weed.

• TulsaRose
    15 years ago

No problem...all toes are intact. lol! It just spooked me that I might be planting something that would take over my yard.

Rosie

• lindasewandsew
    15 years ago

Plumbago sort of pulls you in with it's tropical icy blue flowers that bloom almost all year, and if you forget to water it, it rewards you with more pretty flowers.

When did plumbago become a noxious weed? About a year after we planted it on our slope. It's climbed over fences, completely grown over other large plants, and grown up and tangled itself through italian cypress trees more than 30 feet tall. It's popped up in neighbor's yards across the street and several houses away, just guessing by seeds, oh, those stinkin' little seeds!!! We've picked off millions of them from our skin, socks, clothes, cats, etc. If it hasn't reached your house yet, give it just a little more time. It's on it's way and will surely get there. Anyone want it for free? I'm in Walnut, near Pomona. Email me and you can come and take all you can fit in your car, and come back as often as you like, lol. Linda

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Problem is term noxious weed is used by state weed control boards to classify agricultural pests that cause millions of dollars worth of trouble, so using same term in this context is a bit of a mis-application. What you are talking about is more along the lines of "thug" or "vigorously spreading habit."

• lindasewandsew
    15 years ago

LOL, I should have said OBnoxious weed! DH calls it an alien plant. The aliens have landed, they are called plumbago, and will take over the earth! We'll be killing all of it sometime in the next year or so. Think I'll try cactus and succulents on the slope next. Linda

• paulacat
    15 years ago

Here on the coast of SC, I don't find it obnoxious at all. Of course, frost does take it down to the ground every year. I'd like to have the opportunity to try and control it. : )

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting