Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the name of these plants

Posted by tilou2 B.C (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 11:58

Saw this in Squamish,B.C and really like it to plant it when we move to Nova Scotia. I do not know what it is but the white flowers are really pretty. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the name of these plants

Red one looks like Monarda.

No clue on the white.

o

The white is Gooseneck Loosestrife, Lysimachia clethroides. It's highly invasive here in Ohio and I suspect everywhere else, as well. I would avoid it. It will take over your garden, your yard and your neighborhood. The other is Monarda. There are many colors (in reds, pinks and purples) and differing heights. A great plant.

Linda

o

There are different white plants that look similar without being invasive. Veronica Alba, Liatris for starters.

o

The white flowers are very pretty indeed. Too bad it's such a pesky plant. I grew it for a few seasons, then learned my lesson.

Gary

o

Thank you for all your info. Yes the white one in Gooseneck Loostrife and the red one is Monarda. I might want to plant this in the back way back amongst the trees.

o

I had to move house and home to be rid of my Loosestrife. Never again.

Linda

o

I hope you mean you'd move the Monarda back among the trees, not the Gooseneck Loosetrife. The worst possible thing to do is to release an invasive into a native setting.

o

Boy, folks can make a fuss!! OK, lets clarify about "invasive" - gooseneck loosestrife can be an aggressive spreader but it is not considered invasive. It will not "take over" natural areas and if sited properly, will not even take over your own garden. Try planting in a drier shade location and the plant remains a manageable clump. Or plant in a large container and sink into the ground. I can think of countless other plants - many of them very common garden perennials or groundcovers - that pose far more of an invasive threat. And not at all difficult to dig up if it spreads to where not wanted. btw, monarda has a reputation for spreading as well but a bit more manageable than the gooseneck.

FWIW, gooseneck loosestrife is a perennial I would not be without. And I am very picky about my perennials :-))

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here