Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a birch?

Posted by NancyPolon Zone 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 12:43

Hello,
I have several of these trees in the yard of the house I just moved into. They're kind of out control and in odd places. Also, the leaves seem to get eaten/attacked almost as soon as they form. Does anyone know if this is a birch and if so, what kind?
Thank you,
Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a birch?

Closer view of leaves

o

Not a birch. Some variety of Elm?

o

• Posted by aswhad belgium-europe (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 6:18

Was thinking Elm (ulmus) also.

Here is a link that might be useful: google photo's

o

i have hundreds of siberian elm seedlings scattered over 5 acres ...

they are not favorable trees in any sense ... weak wooded.. horrible crotch angles .. and subject storm damage ... especially ice

nothing of value here.. for you to retain ... especially if you have SEVERAL ... in a small suburban yard..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: 7 and 8th pic in particular ...

o

Ken,
Thank you - that's what it is. I think these grew from unattended seedlings. I've now noticed them everywhere :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here