Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with Melon identification

Posted by sprandini Santa Monica, CA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 8, 09 at 13:05

Actually, I'm not even sure if it's a melon! Any help would be appreciated.

-Seth

Image link: Need help with Melon identification (50 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with Melon identification

It looks like a watermelon plant from what I can tell

o

The leaves don't seem to resemble any watermelon I've seen. But this plant is most likely a cucurbit and therefore related.

o

After looking around a little more online it could actually be a pumpkin plant but being that small it's hard to tell. I've seen watermelons with foliage that looked like your pic and then I've seen watermelons with the alternative foliage that you see if you do a search on Google. Looking through different pics of pumpkins though - it seems there isn't much variation in leaf shape. Did this plant flower at all this year?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin Pictures

o

It looks like a European cantaloupe (Cucumis melo var. cantalupensis). They are similar to North American ones but don't have the netted skin. They also have orange flesh.

o
More

Forgot to add, they are also called Charentais melons.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics

o

Thanks everyone for your help! This plant has only been growing for about a month. And yes, it did flower and is still flowering. It just started growing in my community garden plot without me planting it. I'll keep you posted.

o
RE: Charentais melons

I wish it was a Charentais melon, only thing working against that theory is that these are not round, they're football shaped.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here