Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help ID this plant

Posted by bayla 6NYC (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 14:01

Hi,

Please help ID this plant, it shows up in my backyard in the summer, thanks.

Bayla

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help ID this plant

Purslane, portulaca oleracea.

o

A succulent, and edible.

o

Edible! Thanks, for the ID, I won't be eating it, but I do like it and I am going to transplant it to a pot.

Bayla

o

Remember that it reseeds itself like crazy!! And you can take cuttings, stick them in dirt, and they will grow, too! Another name for it is moss rose, but the ones that people usually try to grow have 1-2 inch colorful blooms.

o

Bayla, Portulaca oleracea is an annual.

Guinnevtra, the plants sold in stores with leaves that look like this but have larger flowers that often aren't yellow are Portulaca umbraticola (the *other* moss roses.) Until those came into commerce in recent decades, there was one moss rose, Portulaca grandiflora. That's the one with leaves that look like fat, softer pine needles, and double flowers. Both of these are annuals also.

o

a horrible weed .. counted in the millions on my 5 acres ..

the thought of you potting and encouraging it.. amuses me ..

it responds well to round up ...

ken

o

Where you see circled is 4 seed pods. Each small seed pod will have a few hundred tiny, tiny seeds.

In addition, even if you have a purslane plant that has not gone to seed, all you need to do is pull it up and flip it over onto a newspaper. It will automatically go into seed mode and in a few days it will offer you as many seed pods as it can put on itself.

So, if you do not like this plant, do not pull it up and leave it in the garden to mulch/compost in place, because it will multiply very nicely.

o

agree with Ken

o

Only in USA is food called weeds.

Priswell, fascinating, TY.

Why anyone would need RU to battle an annual is a mystery. If it 'responds well' why does the battle continue? If it doesn't work, why keep doing it? Sounds like RU is giving the same result as doing nothing at all.

o

The reason why people don't like this plant is that it's an annual, but those little seed pods have hundreds of seeds in each one. On a really healthy plant, you have to really get your math going. In addition, they will grow in a sidewalk crack, or as I once found, right in the asphalt road. So, despite being an annual, and not having particularly deep roots, they are well prepared to make long term camp.

But they are edible as a green, with very high Omega-3s. In some parts of Italy, they are considered a delicacy, and people grow it specially in pots right next to their tomatos.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here