Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unable to identify this Saskatchewan weed

Posted by envirojack Sask (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 14:13

I have been trying to ID this weed for the last few days to no avail. It almost has a "dog fennel" look to it, but is way outside the range of that plant. So far the closest looking plants I have found to it are in the Artemisia or possibly Ambrosia family. The plant was found on a disturbed site in south eastern Saskatchewan. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unable to identify this Saskatchewan weed

I am putting it into my report as Ambrosia artemisiifolia, even though I haven't seen ragweed with such a reddish stalk before. Still curious to hear other people's thoughts.

o

Do the leaves have the typical whitish/silver undersides?

o

@missingtheobvious No the leaf color is relatively uniform. You can see the backs of some of the leaves at the top of the plant and they are green on the underside.

o

The leaves aren't at all like the Ambrosia artemisiifolia I'm familiar with: not only the reddish color, but also much too finely cut. I believe I've read that most if not all in those genuses/genera are known for leaves with undersides which are whitish or "silver."

If you don't have a similar source for Canada, this at least shows southern Canada: you can look under Asteraceae, then click on Ambrosia and Artemisia to see which types live where, then search for photos on the Internet. [Near the top of the linked page is a link to the "Map Color Key".]
http://bonap.net/NAPA/Family/Traditional/County

o

Thank you for that website. What an awesome tool. You are right that it's not Ambrosia artemisiifolia. I am thinking Artemisia biennis now.

o

Glad to be of help!

o

Tamarix?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarix

o

I think it's a Tamarix.

o

Not Tamarix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here