Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this garden weed?

Posted by njoasis 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 14:47

It forms a kind of ground cover. Flowers are an attractive blue. This is NJ, Zone 7. Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this garden weed?

• Posted by Zaqa 10b (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 15:30

Most likely Commelina cyanea. A relative of the Wandering Jew. This is Scurvy Weed. NJ, I am from Montclair. I do miss the East Coast!

o

Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 15:34

Or actually, Commelina communis (Asiatic Dayflower).

o

What?! You have no weeds in Zone 10b, Paradise Valley! LOL!

Thanks for the ID. I was researching it and that was what I thought. I see that it is an indicator of wet soils. No surprise, been a wet year and I am adjacent to some wetlands (or at least extremely moist).

Weeds are going crazy this year! Cannot keep up so thought I might as well identify them, label 'em and add them to the botanical garden!

Had to take a break today as still nursing my injury from unintentional exposure to that most evil of weeds (poison ivy). Thanks again!

Oh, and have a Happy Birthday tomorrow, leo! (Mine is a bit later in the month.)

P.S., I used to live (for many years), in your old NJ town.

P.S. 2, Did you know that all cultivars of Edith Bogue Magnolias also came out of Montclair, NJ? (Think the original tree is still around.)

This post was edited by njoasis on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 16:03

o

Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 17:21

Haha. There are weeds, but they are unusual to a person who has just recently moved from NJ. NJ is always wet, that is why mosquitoes love it in Northern Jersey.

Uffa. I am immune to the ivy, but I have a flippant allergy to certain other weeds that leads to minor rashes. If not one problem, there is always another to take its place! Ha.

Thanks! Happy Birthday in advance for you as well!

I will always have a place in my heart for Essex County (and I suppose Morris County as well), Cape May, Ocean Grove and LBI. Ha.

I did not know this! Perhaps around Mills or on Highland Ave, maybe Presby Iris Gardens?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here