Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iloveoolong

Help identifying Melons (possible crosses)

iloveoolong
15 years ago

I saved seed from last year of my Spanish Moon Melons. I guess maybe they went and crossed with other Melons that were planted last year or maybe they just mutated. I have no idea. I'm not an expert in the matter of melons. I just saved the seed because they did really well for me last year. Anyway, this year, I planted the seeds I saved from last year and I'm seeing alot of the true plants, but I also discovered these. Which don't look like any Spanish Moon melons I've ever seen. Does anyone know if these are natural crosses or is it possible it's a mutation? I don't know what else they could be. I planted seeds from an Exotic Melon Mix from Burpee last year but that's all along with some different watermelons. And I didn't plant anything this year other than watermelons and my saved seed from the Spanish Moon. So what do you think? What do I have here? Has anyone seen these before or am I right thinking they were an accidental natural cross breed from last year? Thanks for looking.

This first one definitely is wrinkled like the true Spanish Moon but it is spotted like a leopard. My dad insists that this one came directly from the new pack of Exotic Melon Mix he bought this year. How would it be spotted like this coming from Burpee?

[IMG]http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m75/lovemyfonts/Garden/100-0006_IMG2.jpg[/IMG]

These are the two I'm positive that were planted from my saved seed.

This first one looks more like the Early Silverline in shape but also has funky colorations and patterns. And I never saved seed from anything but the Spanish Moon, so maybe a cross between Spanish Moon and Early Silverline?

[IMG]http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m75/lovemyfonts/Garden/100-0008_IMG2.jpg[/IMG]

And this one doesn't really look like anything else even though it came from the Spanish Moon seeds I saved. Maybe the Spanish Moon crossed with one of the watermelons I had last year? Is that possible?

[IMG]http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m75/lovemyfonts/Garden/100-0009_IMG2.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks for any responses. I'm curious to harvest these and see what they taste like.

Comments (2)

• iloveoolong
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK trying this again...

I saved seed from last year of my Spanish Moon Melons. I guess maybe they went and crossed with other Melons that were planted last year or maybe they just mutated. I have no idea. I'm not an expert in the matter of melons. I just saved the seed because they did really well for me last year. Anyway, this year, I planted the seeds I saved from last year and I'm seeing alot of the true plants, but I also discovered these. Which don't look like any Spanish Moon melons I've ever seen. Does anyone know if these are natural crosses or is it possible it's a mutation? I don't know what else they could be. I planted seeds from an Exotic Melon Mix from Burpee last year but that's all along with some different watermelons. And I didn't plant anything this year other than watermelons and my saved seed from the Spanish Moon. So what do you think? What do I have here? Has anyone seen these before or am I right thinking they were an accidental natural cross breed from last year? Thanks for looking.

This first one definitely is wrinkled like the true Spanish Moon but it is spotted like a leopard. My dad insists that this one came directly from the new pack of Exotic Melon Mix he bought this year. How would it be spotted like this coming from Burpee?
    {{gwi:292336}}

These are the two I'm positive that were planted from my saved seed.
    This first one looks more like the Early Silverline in shape but also has funky colorations and patterns. And I never saved seed from anything but the Spanish Moon, so maybe a cross between Spanish Moon and Early Silverline?
    {{gwi:292338}}

And this one doesn't really look like anything else even though it came from the Spanish Moon seeds I saved. Maybe the Spanish Moon crossed with one of the watermelons I had last year? Is that possible?
    {{gwi:292340}}

Thanks for any responses. I'm curious to harvest these and see what they taste like.

• smpt25_yahoo_ca
    12 years ago

This plant started growing where we put some new compost down
    large leaf with slight prickly stem
    i could email a pic,,, but dont know how to post here

Steve