Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID these veggies? ? please

Posted by dragonfly_field 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 15:17

We just moved to a house with some vegetable gardens that I planted flowers in. The only thing growing when we moved in were a couple huge strawberries that I gave to my mother in law. Now that my flowers are planted things keep popping up and im curious what they are. I would hate to just pull them so I May try to grow them elsewhere if we can ID them. There are three in question.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID these veggies? ? please

Corn maybe? ? Just a guess I have no clue

o

Also this I think is the same as the second one. It popped up in my potted clematis I planted with bagged soil so I'm thinking it came from something out of the squirrel feeder.

This post was edited by dragonfly_field on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 15:51

o

Tomato? ?

o

Close up of the last one with its flowers

o

Also a few little seedlings popping up under my sunflowers. Any clue what they are?

o

yes, tomato,
first could be carrot (or very similar umbelifer),

(not familiar with corn)

o

Bottom are all tomato seedlings except the top one.

o

Carrot! ! Perhaps I could leave that one there without it being a problem?

Thank you I thought those seedlings might be tomatoes. My gosh there has to be about 20 or more of them total. Any idea what the top seedling is in the last pic?

Thanks for the help!

o

Corn, tomato, marigold.

o

The top seedling could be a brassica of some sort e.g. radish, cabbage, broccoli, etc. But some other plants have similar seed leaves so the true leaves will be necessary to rid it more certainly.

o

Corn sprouting up in odd places is an indication of certain birds at work, someone in the neighborhood is putting out feed that includes corn seed.

o

The OP says these plants are near their squirrel feeder. Could explain the corn.

o

The corn looking plants could also be millet.

o

Yep we have corn in the squirrel feeder! I have found peanuts in my flower bed before so it's not too surprising. :) we also have tons of western scrub jays that come into the yard who may have something to do with it.

Millet! That is interesting, in will keep it hat in mind as I watch it grow. :)

Thanks everyone for your help!! Now I'm trying to decide if I should move the tomato or leave it where it is. It's pretty smushed in next to the garner boarder where it is now but seems happy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here