Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help to ID this plant

Posted by siddique none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 16:05

Hello,
My gf and I decided to start working on a small home garden together. We got some plants yesterday.
Already, less than 24 hrs since we got this plant it starts to look like death itself.
What's the name of this plant and any tips for care?
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help to ID this plant

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 16:08

Torenia? Wants mostly shade, and decent moisture. Did you put it in full, hot sun?

o

It's Torenia. Common name is monkey plant. It needs watering often.

o

Yes it may have gotten full sunlight for an hour or two today.
Thanks for the ID. We are completely new to this.
Any chance of it surviving?
Thank you

o

I think so. We had them at the garden center I worked at in Pa and they dried out frequently. I'd repot it into a bigger pot with rich soil that will hold some moisture.

o

I've not heard Torenia called Monkey Flower, only Wishbone Flower. The Monkey Flower I know is Mimulus.

So, to the OP, if you are looking at getting more of these any time check the botanical rather than the common name.

o

So it sprung back to life this afternoon. Brought the plant inside and gave it some water. It seems to be doing better indoors.
I will slowly acclimate it to the outdoor garden.

This post was edited by siddique on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 21:00

o

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 21:19

It'll be totally fine outdoors if you put it in a place where it is protected from the hot sun. Filtered light or early morning sun should be fine.

o

That's why we shouldn't go by common names. Every region has different common names for the same plant. That was back in the 80's. Times change.

o

Hi Zackey - I wasn't intending to say you were wrong. I was trying to make exactly your point in my second paragraph. However, if you Google Monkey Flower you do get sent to Mimulus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here