Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lily?

Posted by grice38 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 16:08

Hi

Does anyone have any idea if this is a lily only there doesn't seem to be any flowers, it didn't flower last year either?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lily?

Do these leaves dry up in the summer?
Did you find any large globlet like flowers that looked like an oversized Crocus at that spot last fall?
If so, that is a Colchicum. If not, I have no idea what that would be.

o

Eucomis ?

o

Not a colchicum... doesn't resemble one, plus the foliage will have already gone dormant on colchicum in that area (and even here, much further north).

o

Is some type of Velthemia a possibility?

o

Could this possibly be dracaena sanderiana? This plant is grown inside in most areas of the US but can be planted in the ground in tropical areas such as South Florida. It does not flower at all.

o

The OP is in the UK. First part of the answer is, no, they aren't lilies. And it won't be a tropical if it was also there last year.

Now as to what they could be. Firstly, can you tear a leaf and tell us if it smells of onion?

If not I'd probably go with Thedecoguy's suggestion of Eucomis. Possibly E autumnalis. They need full sun to flower and will do so in late summer/autumn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eucomis

o

rhodea?

o

Rohdea (sp) would be fairly improbable. I've never seen it here and can only find one nursery which sells is.

o

Rohdea leaves much darker and leathery.

o

Yes, I know that but wondering if this was in too much sun. The leaves are the same shape and have the same habit.

o

hello

Thanks for all your suggestions, I have been out and torn a leaf it didn't smell of onion.
The leaves die back in the autumn leaving nothing there. it was in shade last year but I have cut back trees around it, so far it has been in full sun.

o

OK - that settles it. If it isn't evergreen it isn't Rohdea.

o

certainly not. but what?

o

Well, Thedecoguy and I, both based in the UK where the OP is, think it is very likely Eucomis. So all we can do is give our opinion and await confirmation from the OP if it blooms.

o

Thanks will keep you posted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here