Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange shrub in central Arkansas

Posted by Dale_K none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 16:32

This was planted by the previous owner. It used to be a little weakling but it really started growing once it got some sun and fertilizer. My next door neighbor says I should cut it down and replace it with something better but I've been letting it grow to see if it developed into something.

I've never seen any flowers. It has become top heavy and bends over after rain. New growth starts lower on the stem and tries to go straight up but the plant has a hunched over, weeping look.

What is it and does it ever develop flowers? Should I keep it or put in something else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange shrub in central Arkansas

Here is a close up of the leaves. Maybe it will help with the identification.

o

Leaves look like mock orange, Philadelphus. Often, these shrubs do take some time to mature before they bloom and flowering can also be affected by when or how one prunes.
Personally, I'm not sure where it is now is necessarily the best location, both for appearance or inclination to bloom - I might consider moving to a more open, sunnier spot.

o

When I googled your answer I found another name is English dogwood and I recall finding a plastic landscaping tag calling it a dogwood. It confused me since it wasn't like the dogwood I know but now I think it must have been "English dogwood" and that confirms your ID as a mockorange. Thank you.

I looked up some pictures and this plant might turn into something, although I've never seen a blossom on it yet.

o

Yes, Philadelphus/mock orange. From the look of it, it should bloom next year if you don't cut off the new growth.
Mock orange blooms on last year growth. Once it blooms, you can cut off that branch to allow new one to develop.

It looks like a regular Mock Orange, so it will grow to 8 - 10 ft. I have seen Mock Orange grown as a hedge, so I guess you can shear it to the height you want as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here