Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qlily

Did I plant that? Help!

QLily
9 years ago

I mix my own 'dirt' from compost, mulch, purchased soils and some compost/horse manure from a local farm. I am constantly finding sprouts and seedlings I have to google garden to identify. I also have a habit of starting seeds and forgetting to label them or getting the pot started and not being sure if I did plant something or not. I also have a habit of finding/picking seeds and bringing them home to plant while forgetting what it was in the first place. I also try to grow everything I buy from the store that has a seed. I didn't realize I would sprout everything I buried!

I have one pot I cannot identify for the life of it. It has a hairy red/maroon/purplish stem with white hairs. The red stopped at the first set of leaves, which are long and spear-shaped. There is still a hint of color at the axil and between the veins (pinnate) on the leaf underside. The leaves are opposite, entire, hairy, green, and ovate.

It's rather beautiful. I don't want to let it die, but if it is something that will be a pest or ugly when mature, I would let it go. I searched through hundreds, if not thousands, of images. I thought it might be nightshade related. But those images did not turn up a match. It could possibly be kiwi, I let my daughter do that one. But she planted many things in the one pot!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry