Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyphrodel

Kalanchoe

nyphrodel
10 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I have a couple of Kalanchoe that I think are pretty cool and they are very close in appearance and I was hoping one of you may be able to tell me what species they both are.

I know a lot of people here in Florida hate them because they are so prolific and they can get out of hand, but I find if you keep them in containers on a concrete lanai, you won't have problems with them "taking over". I also think they are extraordinarily beautiful plants. This first one is very symmetrical; the leaves follow straight down in a criss-cross fashion. Two opposite of each other at 3:00 and 9:00, the next two opposite each other at 12:00 and 6:00. I'm not sure what that's called, I'm an amateur, but it's beautiful, and very organized. I swear if that doesn't show you that the universe is based on numbers nothing will ;)

I'll post the next immediately following this one. Sorry this one is so grainy.

This post was edited by Nyphrodel on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 16:50

Comments (12)

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

That one looks like Kalanchoe daigremontiana aka Mother of Thousands, a pretty apt description, no?

• nyphrodel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the second one. This on is more spiral as you can see. Not quite so organized.

• nyphrodel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes and here is the one they call the "Mother of Millions". Unbelievable huh?

• nyphrodel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Every leaf has TONS of baby plantlets just waiting to jump off and root themselves! Beautiful though, aren't they?

But I believe this one is the Kalanchoe Daigremontiana, isn't it? Are there any Kalanchoe experts out there?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kalanchoe Daigremontiana

This post was edited by Nyphrodel on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 17:14

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

It's such a neat plant; my parents had one in their house when I was growing up. I haven't seen them for sale around here; the regular kalanchoe with the colourful flowers seem to be more in vogue.

• nyphrodel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When I Google the term 'Mother of Millions' or ' Mother of Thousands', I get images of all three of my Kalanchoe and another one that I have as well. How do I know which is and which isn't the daigremontiana?

• nyphrodel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes Donna.in.ask, they are so cool, the other Kalanchoe that I have is one of the pretty flowering ones. But, my big monster actually flowered this past year and it had a TON of pretty showy flowers that hung down so beautifully, I couldn't believe how prolific this thing is! Oh yeah, I have this one too:

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

Thinking #2 is 'tubiflora'?

• sradleye
    10 years ago

also think #1 - daigremontiana
    #2 - tublifora

recently acquired cuttings of both plants, structure looks identical to your pics, but the colors are like variegated with light and chocolate browns. very interesting looking leaves.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

1st plant is Kalanchoe x houghtonii
    2nd is Kalanchoe delagonensis (prev tubiflora)
    3rd plant Kalanchoe crenato-daigremontiana (2 pix)
    Last plant shown Kalanchoe gastonis-bonnieri

• nyphrodel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosemariero, YOU ARE AWESOME!!! It has been driving me mad trying to find the names of these species. All too often, when I GOOGLE an image of a species, there will be an assortment of plants all claiming to be the same thing. Almost all Kalanchoe are referred to as "Mother of Millions" or "Mother of Thousands", and as a result, people get careless. The Wikipedia has a list of kalanchoe species, but not all of them have photos, so they are tough to identify individually. I was pretty confident in my choice for the Daigremontiana but I was totally lost on the others. As you can see by the other posts, I'm not the only one. Nobody was quite sure. Looks like we're all in the same boat. Hey, guys, we have our Kalanchoe expert!

I can't thank you enough Rosemariero, Crassulaceae is my favorite Family and Kalanchoe is most definitely my favorite genus. I want to learn more about the individual species and now, thanks to you, I can. =)

Nyphrodel

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Thank you, Nyphrodel & you're welcome! I am by no means an expert at Kalanchoe. I have had a lot of years researching & identifying these plants. I get confused sometimes, as well! Hee hee!

It is a frustrating thing to have so many plant misidentified online. Technology is a wonderful thing...but sometimes too wonderful?!? It doesn't take much for 1 photo being mis-ID'd, turning into thousands! So, plants have to be compared & confirmed, etc. There are no Internet Plant Police! LOL

It does not help that folks use common names of plants, rather than their Latin names, and then, compounding confusion by calling many different plants by the same common names. Mother of Thousands is one such name.

Most photos online don't allow you to see the plants clearly, which makes it even more difficult to ID.

Below are a few links of of photos of what Kalanchoe daigremontiana (previously classified as Bryophyllum daigremontianum) looks like:

To show you something to look for to determine it is this plant, look closely at the plants in these pix. At the end of the leaf that is attached to the petiole (which attaches to the stem), you can see the leaf is upturned. If you look at K. x houghtonii, you see that is missing. I see more Kal. x houghtonii misidentified as k. daigremontiana, than any of the others. Calling them all Mother of Thousands doesn't help. :(

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Zyworodka_-_Kalanchoe_daigremontiana.JPG

http://curator.phytoimages.siu.edu/users/paraman1/7_13_09_1/Upload13July09B/KalanchoeDaigremontiana108.jpg

Enjoy your plants!
    ~Rosemarie

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:295090}}

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022