Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny little blue flower

Posted by catlyke 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 07 at 16:52

This flower grows all around my apartment complex, the blooms are a bright cornflower blue (washed out a little in this pic) and remind me of a butterfly, with the petal shape and the little curling bit. I'd say the blooms are barely bigger than a match head when budded, maybe a pencil eraser when open. That's regular old grass it's nestled in. I live in northeast Texas, if that helps.

Thanks!

Image link: Tiny little blue flower (46 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny little blue flower

It looks like it could be dayflower, Commelina communis.

Here is a link that might be useful: Commelina communis

o
RE: Tiny little blue flower

I agree with Commelina, but it does not look to me like C. communis. The leaves look too long and narrow, the growth habit too compact (though its habit may be altered by mowing), and the spread of the petals looks too wide.

The USDA's database shows 6 species of Commelina that grow wild in Texas, and there could be additional garden species. Could this be Commelina erecta?

Here is a link that might be useful: Commelina erecta

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here