Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mysterious plant

Posted by Kat1111 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 17:07

Hi
I wonder if maybe you could shed some light on my mysterious plant.
Few months back I bought some seeds on ebay, that were meant to be Venous Fly trap. Since planting the seeds, my plant has grown very quickly, especially after re potting it to give it more room. It loves the sun, always turns towards it and grows extraordinarily quick. I have already established that this is not in fact A venous fly trap but something completely different. I would like to know if possible, what am I growing so I can learn how to really care for this plant.
I have attached some photos.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mysterious plant

Can't tell from your posting if you planted more than one seed and some of them came up as Venus fly traps.

The plant above is a sunflower. Did the seeds look similar to sunflower seeds?

The word venous applies to blood vessels.

o

Looks sunflowerish to me too.

o

Since Venus fly trap seeds are as small as ground black pepper, the seed of the plant you have would have had to been much bigger. What was the size of the seeds you planted?

o

I had about 12 tiny seeds that I scattered around the soil and only this came up.

o

And I know what sunflower seeds look like because I am growing them in the garden and no way was this the same. Thy were absolutely tiny.
And sunflower leaves as smooth and mine looks like they have tiny hairs, they are definitely not sunflowers although the shape is pretty similar.

This post was edited by Kat1111 on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 6:55

o

Well, you may have planted Venus fly trap seeds, but this is not that. Some other seed must of been introduced either in the soil or by other means.

o

Sunflower foliage does have hairs.

o

That really does look like a hydrangea, Kat. Having said which, I suppose there are many plants unknown to me which could look like that. Do let us know if you find out. If it is a hydrangea, they are very thirsty plants. That might be a clue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here