Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poison Sumac???

Posted by kirsch17 Missouri (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 17:17

I live on the edge of a woods of have tons of this plant in my yard. It is a woody plant that grows in somewhat of a shrub pattern. It looks like pictures I have seen of poison sumac, which is supposedly not found in Missouri. Can anyone ID this plant? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poison Sumac???

poison sumac grows here in my backyard, and this does not look like it at all.

although it's possible different varieties grow in different regions.

o

Looks like bush honeysuckle, invasive (Lonicera).

o

Definitely not poison sumac. That has compound leaves rather than the simple, opposite leaves of the bush in your photo.

In other words, each compound leaf of poison sumac is a "stem" with 7-15 simple leaves arranged in opposite pairs plus a single terminal leaf -- no buds at the end of that stem for next year's growth, because in the fall the entire compound leaf (including the "stem") will fall off the plant.

o

Agree with esh_ga that it is one of the invasive honesuckles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here