Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is this?

Posted by katisu 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 17:29

this is growing up through the leaves of a hosta. plant or weed?

thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this?

Just due to its general weirdness: might that be a Euphorbia?

o

I googled them and can't find any that look anything like it, but they're all so very different.

Thanks so much for your response! It's a good starting place.

o

Bumping to see if anyone has any more thoughts.

o

Have you tried pulling off a leaf? If it does not have milky sap that might help rule out Euphorbia. Not all have that characteristic but the plant in the image looks like one of those that would.

o

The paired, opposite blue leaves ... and then the alternate purplish leaves which could pass for azalea....

I'm tempted to call the paired blue leaves "bracts" (and/or "cyathophylls"), except that if this were a ("typical") Euphorbia, the blue bracts/cyathophylls should be growing atop the cluster of azalea-ish leaves rather than vice versa!

Euphorbia amygdaloides was the best Euphorbia match I could find for the azalea-ish leaves, including the purplish color. But I am not in any way an expert.

So, all you experts: what the heck has totally dissimilar-looking leaves like this?

katisu, if it is a Euphorbia and has milky sap, the sap might be caustic and burn your skin, so be careful!

The anatomy of Euphorbias:
http://www.euphorbiaceae.org/pages/about_euphorbia.html

o

I don't know how I missed your post, missingtheobvious. That is a good possibility. I've also found Euphorbia dulcis (Chameleon Purple Spurge or some such thing) could be a viable option. But I can't find a good picture of the lower half of the plants. It's like it has two different kinds of leaves, and I'm not finding that on any of them that look anything like this.

I've updated with a photo of what it now looks like. It has become my favorite plant in all of my garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here