Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shrub? if so what kind?

Posted by loris Z6 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 17:29

This plant is growing right beneath a highbush blueberry. The leaves are alternate. Any ideas of what it is and whether or not I should keep it?

Somebody suggested ninebark but it doesn't quite match the shape of the 'Diabolo' cultivar I have.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks. -- Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shrub? if so what kind?

Hawthorn? Crabapple?

o

Possibly a mulberry, Morus spp.

o

Thank you both. I'll try to check the plant and the Internet to see if those seem like possibilities.

o

I took another look at the Internet and at the leaves today. I don't think anything is that good a match yet. I'm posting a closeup of a ninebark leaf and the unknown plant for comparison, What seems different between this plant and all the suggestions I've gotten so far is this leaf has simpler lobe shape especially for the top lobe. Everything mentioned so far is really close. I thought all looked suggested looked like a match until I looked carefully at them and the sample leaf at the same time.

Thanks again for your help.

o

what about common ninebark - Physocarpus opulifolius?

Here is a link that might be useful: - Physocarpus opulifolius ID

o

Ninebark was one of the first suggestions I got but I thought this leaf looked narrower. Maybe it is one of the suggestions. If I don't get an id I think fits better maybe I'll just let it grow and see although it may come out since it's not in a particularly good spot. I've noticed a few others so maybe one will show up where I can more easily leave it..

Thanks bubbleoffplumb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here