Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
am I black raspberries?

Posted by ishareflowers 6a. MA. (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 17:34

These have been growing in my woods forever. My niece wants to come and pic them with her boys. I just want yo be sure they are edible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: am I black raspberries?

I don't think there are any berries like that(forget the scientific name for it but meaning made up of tiny knobs with a multiple seeds like a raspberry) on a brambled bush with thorns that is considered inedible. Blackberries and black raspberries are fruiting now and the frosty cane suggest black raspberry to me.

o

Yes, that is black raspberry, Rubus occidentalis. One of the best wild fruits, IMO.

o

Black Raspberry for sure. Get 'em before the birds notice!

o

Among caneberries, black raspberries are considered too seedy by many, but they do have an excellent flavor. If the berry does not pull off very easily, it is not ripe, even if black.

o

I consider them the best tasting of any cane berry. I have a large patch of cultivated ones, not leaving finding the wild ones to chance. Let's put it this way, a tiny three ounce container of them sells at about 5.99 a shot at the supermarkets if they're not on sale. Jellies made from them will make you wanna slap your mama.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here