Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

This plant has been attempting a takeover for a few years now and is beginning to win. It has underground runners and seems to have gone under stepping stones into another part of a garden as well. Someone suggested Creeping Charlie, but the leaves are slightly different and there is no scent. No amount of digging, pulling, ripping, or swearing has helped. :) Any ideas?

{{gwi:296893}}

Comments (9)

• jeanne
    16 years ago

Does it have dark purple stalks? It reminds me of Campanula trachelium.

• laurie_grower
    16 years ago

Is it ajuga?

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, this forum moves quickly!

Jeanne, the stalks are mostly green but there is some purple in them. Laurie, i have no idea about the ajuga - i've never planted any, but it could have come from somewhere with another plant. I'll have to look it up and see.

I haven't been able to get to all of it and some of it has grown taller and it seems that as it grows taller, the leaves get more pointed.

Off to look up Campanula trachelium and ajuga.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

I also thought of the bellflower mentioned. After I thought of Mike Tyson.

• chuckr30
    16 years ago

Kind of looks like creeping charlie, a weed. Creeping charlie smells like herbs when the stem is broken or when it is mowed.

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

It is not creeping charlie. I believe it is a campanula. It is not c. trachlium. That variety only reseeds when happy. It does not send out runners.
    It may be c. takesimana. I do not grow it, but it has the same potentially invasive nature as c. punctata with the seeding and underground runners. I know it is not c.punctata. I have cultivars of c. puntata and the foliage is not the same. C. punctata has a hairiness to the leaves and yours seem to have a glossiness. C. takesimana has glossier leaves.
    Remy

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    16 years ago

From what i've read now about C. takesimana, this may be it. The pictures i've found don't show much of the foliage, though. I think i'll leave some of it to see if it blooms - that will make ID easier.

Thanks for your help. If and when it blooms, i'll come back and let you know. :)

• User
    16 years ago

I really don't think it is Campanula takesimana because of the height. Have a look at Campanula poscharskyana and see what you think.

Cheers,
    Dee.

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi again,
    It is not c. poscharskyana. I also grow that campanula.
    C. takesimana leaves are fairly low growing and flower spikes arise in a similar fashion to c. punctata. You have been pulling at them to try and stop the growth so all you would see are new very low growing leaves as in your photo. Plus you stated that where allowed to grow the plants were getting taller and the leaves becoming more pointed.
    I forgot to tell you yesterday that I had c. punctata jump ship by seed to another area of my garden with moister and richer soil and proceed to take over. I was trying to just pull it out and ended up with a patch just like your photo. I had to remove the mulch and dig up my good plants and then dig out the soil full of roots and remove any traces of root I could find. Then I put everything back together again. I still have had a few little plants pop up, but I've caught them quickly. I'm hoping it is gone now!
    Even if it ends up being something else, you will probably have to do the same.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Campanula takesimama