Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild sweet pea vine?

Posted by soitgoes PA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 08 at 18:00

Is this some sort of wild pea vine? It's perennial. Right now it's got nothing to grab onto, so it's in a sort of loose shrub form. The last two years it was winding around the weeds in this area. It flowers from June or July til early autumn. It's very hardy (has been weed-whacked to the ground several times and always comes back), but it seems to be well-behaved as it hasn't really spread past this spot, which is right by the road. I tried to identify it last year, and the plant that looked most like it is said to naturally occur on sandy areas of the eastern coast, so that can't be it. I can't seem to locate the identification page I was using last year, though.

Is this something that could be moved and trained on a trellis? Or is it too aggressive?

Pictures are entire plant, closeup of leaves, closeup of flower, closeup of unopened buds.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild sweet pea vine?

Perhaps it's Lathyrus latifolius

Here is a link that might be useful: Lathyrus latifolius

o
RE: Wild sweet pea vine?

Yes, surely it is L latifolius because of the winged petioles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here