Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Houseplant that no one can identify

Posted by MissJune0394 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 18:15

Hi!
My mom found this houseplant in the walmart garden area and no one seems to be able to identify it...not even my mom with her extensive knowledge...she has an idea but is not sure and I have been searching online and haven't found anything similar other than "Congo Aloe" which is probably incorrect. It is from Exotic Angel. It has somewhat thick leaves like a succulent but the leaves aren't very "fat" and after it blooms it gets round seed pods. I didn't see it bloom so I'm not sure what the flower looks like but in the photo you should be able to see the seed pods. It has jagged edges to the leaves but the jagged edges are still rather soft (not pokey like thorns). Anyways, hopefully someone can tell us what it is! Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Houseplant that no one can identify

What about aloe humilis "Hedgehog" listed on their site? No pic there, but here's another source:

Here is a link that might be useful: aloe humilis

o

It sure does look like it, but what threw me off is that mine doesn't seem to have the "Transparent" tips...that's probably what it is though...thanks!

o

Hmm. These must be making the rounds as a couple have showed up in the c&s forum and been tentatively id'd as Aloe prostrata (formerly Lomatophyllum prostratum).

-Ming

o

Exotic Angel Plants has this mislabeled. It's not Aloe humilis, it's Lomatophyllum prostratum (syn. Aloe prostrata) from Madagascar. Lomatophylllums are distinguished from Aloes by their fleshy(versus dry) seed pods. Gradually acclimate your plant to more sun--it will blush a most pleasing chocolate color. I've had good luck growing it from seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lomatophyllum prostratum

o

Oh gosh! That's it! Exotic Angel plants didn't even label the plant itself or fill in a code for their website. Thanks so much! That chocolate color sure is beautiful. I'm definitely going to have to acclimate mine since it's been inside walmart. I'm excited to try growing the seeds! Quite an unusual plant =D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here