Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone know the name of this plant/tree?

Posted by Cancos none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 18:22

We are deciding whether we want to remove or keep these plants/trees that are in our backyard. We just recently bought the home, but are completely unsure how big they grow or what they produce. Please let me know with your comments below. Thanks! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone know the name of this plant/tree?

Looks like a Korean dogwood, Cornus kousa.

And it is always a good idea to live with a new garden for a year or so to figure out and identify everything that's there before making any major changes. Usually new homeowners are so busy making the inside just the way they want it that the outside typically waits for a year or two. Sometimes it takes that long to decide exactly how you want to use the garden as well.

o

this one would be worth saving ...

but i wonder what the green nursery tape is for .. if nothing.. get it off the tree ...

see you in the tree forum.. with a pic of the whole... should you wish further advice ... as to staking.. and if properly planted .. etc

ken

o

Ken, the green tape is holding the tree to a slender bamboo stake. Your advice is still good.......get it and the stake off that tree. Show us why there is a metal stake and twine, please. I suspect that it's around the tree's trunk. No. No. I lost a peach tree this year when one of them I missed was not removed. Just plain old biodegradable cotton twine. It has to be dug out now and replaced. The forum can tell you how to properly stake this, if it is even necessary. That's a nice tree, btw. Kousa are a more sophisticated form of dogwood and you'll likely want to keep this one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here