Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone identify this plant

Posted by ginnyd7 Pacific northwest (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 18:23

This is a perennial that I planted. It grows over 6 feet tall and gets bigger every year.Bees love it. I just do not remember, for the life of me, what it is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone identify this plant

Eupatorium, aka boneset or Joe Pye weed?

o

Looks like that to me too.

o

Thank you for your replies. I had thought it was Joe Pye weed until a friend who is very plant knowledgeable, and whose favorite plant is Joe Pye weed, told me it was not. I have another Joe Pye weed that is quite young whose leaf arrangement is different from this one. Yet I cannot find another plant that is this similar to Joe Pye weed but is not Joe Pye weed, so perhaps it is just a variety that he did not recognize. It was not in bloom at the time.
Again, thank you.

o

maybe a different Eupatorium. Eupatorium perfoliatum aka Boneset?

o

I am trying another photo to see if folks still think it is Eupatorium. I think you are correct but the leaf formation seems different from the photos I am finding on line.

o

I also agree that it seems a Eupatorium.

o

I found it. It is eupatorium cannabinum or hemp agrimony. Thanks so much for your help. Apparently, it is the only eupatropium native to Europe and, while it has been introduced to B.C. and 3 eastern states, it is not common in the U.S. I do not know how I wound up with it, to tell the truth, but I do love it and so do the bees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here